Sunday 14 October 2012

Adult Social Care Debate - BBC Radio Cambridgeshire - Mon 15th 6.30pm

Without change, Adult Social Care is facing an extremely tough time over the next twenty or so years.  We have a population that is growing older, which is a great thing, but it does mean that there will be an increasing number of people that need the sort of support that both the NHS and local councils provide.  In Cambridgeshire the number of over 65s are forecast to increase by 30% in the next ten years, the over 90s population will increase by 70%.  There is some evidence that without change some Councils will be spending almost their entire budgets on Adult Social Care in less than twenty years time.

Last Thursday I sat on a panel as part of a recorded live debate about adult social care at the BBC Cambridgeshire studios.  That debate will be broadcast tomorrow night (Monday 15th October) at 6.30pm on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire.

The debate was a first for me, and I was a little apprehensive about it.  But actually, I really enjoyed it.  There were some really, really contrasting views put across, but,for the most, the debate was not a political bun fight, but was issues based - even though it was clear that myself and at least one other person on the panel are poles apart politically.  I would also add that I thought Paul Stainton and his team did a great job of hosting the debate, making sure the audience members all got a say and that people like me didn't talk too much!!

The serious issues around Adult Social Care are not widely enough known, so debates like this are really important.  If you listen, please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment